What was on my Personal Statement

So if you're about to go into your second year of sixth form then you'll need to write your personal statement pretty soon.

Here's some of the things I did to put on my personal statement:

Charity: Working for a charity isn't just good for your personal statement, its also great for your CV. I worked in the RSPCA charity shop for two days a week for a month during my summer. If you have ever helped at school with a charity fair or bake sale then these also shows extracurricular as well as voluntary work. 

NCS: This is the National Citizenship Service and involves a three week programme of charity work, outside activities and camping. I would do this regardless of putting it on my CV, I met amazing people and got to travel to Wales for fee with 2 weeks of free accommodation and food. When adding this to your personal statement I included why I wanted to do it and what I gained from it. Furthermore in your final week you work with a charity so this adds another volunteering group.  

Clubs: If you haven't joined any clubs, join some as soon as you can. If you can join ones that have a link to your course that's even better.

Girls Network: This involved being paired with a business women who hopefully does a job that will be beneficial to what you want to do in the future. This was a year long commitment that gave girls in my sixth form an opportunity to get work experience and general work and life advice from a women in a business industry of their choice. If your school are not signed up to this it is worth asking about it and trying to get involved with it. 

Work experience: I worked in my local town hall in the admin department for a week, this linked to the political side of the course I wanted to study and gave me a large amount to talk about on my personal statement. Many local councils offer work experience and if they don't try finding work experience connected to your course. For example for English degree a library or bookshop, for a History degree a museum and a Medical degree a hospital or care home. 

Work: Having a job alongside your studies doesn't just provide a little extra money but also shows that you are a committed individual that is motivated outside of academia. 

Events: If your school holds an open days, bake sales, book sales, sports days or anything you can help out with do it. This looks great on personal statements as it shows you want to be involved in your school and take pride in it. 

I hope this gave you some ideas on what you could put in your Personal Statement, if you have any questions leave them down bellow and I'll try my hardest to answer them. 

Comments

Popular Posts