Moving into Uni Halls: What to bring


Living in university accommodation in my first year was the best decision I made. However, it become pretty clear early on that I had forgotten some essentials. Running into the town center on the second day of freshers was an interesting experience. On the plus side it gave me a chance to get to know my new friends but we also got lost a lot on the way into town. So, here's some of the essentials I brought with me and had to buy:

Bedroom
Batteries:
Whether it's for fairy lights or your toothbrush bring some, I didn't realise they were so expensive so if you can steal some from home before hand all the better.

Documents:
The university usually sends you an email with your specific documents for you to bring. I brought my acceptance letter, my A-level results, a recent bank statement and any student finance documents.

Pictures:
This helps make your room feel a bit more like home.

Washi Tap:
Great for decorating your room with pictures and hanging up fairy lights and most wont mark your walls but test it out first.

Electronics:
An extension lead is a must. Don't forget all your chargers and I would highly recommend bringing a laptop (with a Netflix account)


Kitchen
Food:
For some reason I didn't think to ask to do a quick food shop before moving in and so had to go in the morning, it was stressful and I didn't really have a plan of what to buy. Bring some essentials with you for at least your first couple of days in case you can't make it to the supermarket (hangovers being the main problem here).

All the things:
I cannot tell you how under prepared I was for cooking. Definitely bring more than once baking tray, bowl, plate etc... I only brought one of each with me and found that doing my washing after every meal was way too optimistic. Also plastic cups are good if you or your flat ever want to host pre drinks, plus on freshers week its a good way to get to know people.

Alcohol:
If you don't plan on drinking ignore this one. Bring a bottle or two for your first couple days of freshers so you don't have to be the flat mate stealing everyone's alcohol like I was.

Tuber ware:
Bring some! Something I actually brought with me, and it came in so handy. I used mine to make my lunches so I didn't spend money on campus food.

Flask:
Late night library sessions where fueled by tea, and the flask was a necessity whenever going to the library.

Bathroom:
The essentials: toothpaste, toothbrush, towels etc etc just bring everything you use daily.

Laundry bag: Any bag will really do, I saw lots of people using Ikea bags which are huge. The laundry room can be expensive so I often found myself carry lots of bags full of clothes which I had saved for weeks.

Comments

Popular Posts